Saturday, August 20, 2011

I love to draw. I always have.
When I was transitioning from elementary to middle school, drawing was something that I was determined to become better at. At that time I knew I wanted to draw figures well-enough to emulate the Disney princesses. So, I would collect my old VHS covers and practice drawing Belle, Jasmine, and Aurora :)
Eventually, I felt that I needed to expand my skills. I had met a friend in school who was a much better artist than me by far. She could draw realistically. I wanted to as well. So I would gather fashion magazines, W magazine being my favorite, and would find the most dynamic photo spreads and fashion advertisements to emulate.
All this practice served as a great foundation to my focused arts training in high school and into college. I learned beforehand how to shade, better proportions, and perspective long before I knew what each was called. When I finally had a name for the techniques I had stumbled into, I grew very interested in the history of those techniques. Which culminated in my majoring in Art History; my particular area of interest- Renaissance and Northern Renaissance art.
All it took was a little determination to get better, the initiative to think outside the box in reference material, and LOTS of practice.
Drawing is still one of my 'go to' methods to simultaneously relax and stimulate my creativity :)

No comments: